Noble Eightfold Path
The Noble Eight Fold Path consists of eight factors, which we can develop ourselves to be wiser, moral and mentally developed. This path is also called “the Middle Way,” because it avoids the two extreme religious practices of extreme sensual indulgence and extreme mortification of the body to gain liberation. This path aims to develop three aspects of our personality: morality, mental culture and wisdom. With the development of these three factors, we can liberate ourselves from unwholesome cravings and respond to the
world with compassion, acceptance and bliss.
1. Right View: Understanding how suffering arises in the human mind and the possibility of overcoming it.
2. Right Intention: Developing the intentions of non-violence, letting go and compassion, which reduce suffering of oneself and others.
3. Right Speech: Cultivating truthful, peaceful, kind and meaningful speech .
4. Right Action: Cultivating harmless, honest and faithful behaviors by refraining from killing, stealing and sexual misconduct.
5. Right Livelihood: Following a righteous career that does not harm other living beings.
6. Right Effort: Constantly attempting to maintain good thoughts and habits.
7. Right Mindfulness: Developing awareness of our body, feelings, the nature of our mind and thoughts.
8. Right Concentration: Developing the ability of concentration of our mind and the settling of the mind into peace and tranquility.
"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
the Buddha Shakyamuni